^What Does Reef Safe Mean?
Many sunscreens contain ingredients that wash off our skins (or down the drain) to harm coral reefs, even at very small concentrations. Using a "reef safe sunscreen" means that no ingredients in that product will cause detrimental effects to marine life. That includes coral reefs but also marine mammals, turtles, fish and a variety of marine species. Remember that certain brands falsely claim to be "Reef-Safe" but actually contain chemicals harmful to ocean life, so always check the label for these toxic ingredients: Oxybenzone, Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Octocrylene, Parabens, Triclosan.
Safe for Kids, While Pregnant and Nursing:
Unlike chemical-based sunscreens, P4O and other mineral sunscreens are safe to use on children under 2 years old and while pregnant or nursing. Our products are designed for all skins, even the most sensitive. At P4O, we believe all skins deserve the best mineral sun protection. We use natural and organic ingredients and exclude all nasties such as hormone-disruptive ingredients. We include ceramides such as Shea Butter and natural waxes for water resistance, so our sunscreens don't run or sting the eyes. However, we do recommend keeping newborns (<6 months old) out of the sun or consulting your doctor. Also, keep in mind that P4O sunscreens contain essential oils.
How SPF50+ Differs from SPF30:
No sunscreen actually blocks 100% of UV rays. SPF50+ sunscreens offer similar levels of UVB protection as SPF30 sunscreens but offer extra UVA protection. SPF50+ sunscreens allow 1/50th of ambient UV radiation through but filter out 98% of UVB radiation. SPF30 sunscreens admit 1/30th of ambient UV radiation but block out 96.7% UVB.
How to Use:
Day cream with SPF • A good SPF routine is your best defence against premature signs of ageing. Apply every morning after cleansing face and décolletage. Shake or massage tube before use. Squeeze a pea-sized amount on your hand and apply to the face, neck and décolletage. It’s best to start with a small amount to see how much product is ideal for your skin type. Add more if it doesn’t feel heavy. Allow to settle for a minute or two before applying other products or make-up.
As an Everyday Face & Body UV-defence • Apply evenly 20 minutes before sun exposure, avoiding contact with eyes. Insist on sensitive areas (face, décolletage, top of shoulders, hands & feet, back of ears and neck). Re-apply every 2 hours or more after swimming, sweating or towelling. Avoid sun exposure between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. wear protective clothing and a hat. Use sun protection daily and all year round, even on cloudy days.
Active: Zinc Oxide 225mg/G.
Inactives: Caprilic Capric Triglyceride°, Castor Oil°, Candelilla Wax, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate°, Coconut Oil°, Tocopherol Acetate°, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate°, Lavender Oil*, Ylang Ylang Flower Oil*, Patchouli Leaf Oil*, Vetiver Root Oil*, Geranium Oil*, Isostearic Acid°.
*Natural | °Organic
Why Zinc Oxide is Used as P4O's Only Active Ingredient:
- It is the only reef-safe UV filter available.
- Zinc oxide provides excellent sun protection and has several advantages over synthetic actives. Zinc particles sit on top of your skin and act as a reflective barrier (exactly like a mirror) to block both UVAs & UVBs from penetrating your skin and causing damage and ageing.
- It is the only FDA* & TGA** approved broad-spectrum sun protection ingredient, and unlike any other active ingredient, its concentration in a product has no limitation. It is also the EWG (Environmental Working Group) no.1 ingredient for skin protection.
- Zinc oxide is also effective for healing the skin. It can be used to heal wounds, reduce the tenderness associated with sunburns and soften chapped skin. It is sometimes used as an acne treatment - it is believed to reduce the appearance of blemishes and reduce skin irritation and inflammation, reducing the number and severity of acne breakouts.
* Food & Drug Administration (US).
** Therapeutic Goods Administration (AU).